Here are my oodles of zoodles (zucchini noodles) and my recipe for a Zoodle Bake
Baked Zoodle Casserole
We are using Italian sausage in the sauce. If you would like to make the sauce vegetarian, you can use either eggplant or mushrooms (or both). If you use eggplant, cube the eggplant into 3/4-inch cubes, salt it and let it drain like the zucchini, squeezing out excess moisture. Then brown it in a tablespoon or two of olive oil in place of the sausage.
If using mushrooms, slice them into 1/4-inch slices and dry sauté them (no added fat, just put the mushrooms into the hot pan), until they have released most of their their moisture, then add them to the tomato sauce.
3 large zucchini
1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Spiralize all the zucchini. If you don’t have a spiralizer, use a vegetable pealed which will create wide tagliatelle type zoodles. Toss the zoodles with salt in a colander and let drain over the sink while you make the sauce (be prepared for a lot of liquid to drain). Cut zoodles to prevent tangling later.
2. Slice the whole eggplant and lightly salt each side. Place sliced on a paper towel and cover with another paper towel. Let it sit to remove excess water while you make the sauce.
3. Brown the onions and carrots. Cook until softened and lightly colored, about 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Add the remainder of the zucchini (that couldn’t be spiralized) and any other vegetables you have such as mushroom, bell peppers, spinach, etc…
5. Add the canned crushed tomatoes tomatoes, balsamic vinegar or red wine and basil. Bring to a simmer and lower the heat to maintain a low simmer. Cook for 5 to 6 additional minutes.
6. Squeeze moisture out of zoodles with a clean dish towel and then stir in the zoodles to the sauce.
7. Put olive oil on the casserole dish and then line the dish with the eggplant slices.
8. Pour the sauce and zoodles over the eggplant.
9. Top with parmesan and mozzarella. and bake: Arrange the ricotta in clumps on the casserole.
10. Bake at 350°F / 275°C, uncovered, for 35min, or until the top is lightly browned and bubbly.