Looking forward to this last minute (and much needed) girls trip with my good friend Agnieszka! We got an incredible deal, so we are off to the Black Sea at the Golden Sands in Varna, Bulgaria. We are staying for a week at the COOEE Mimosa Sunshine Hotel which is all inclusive and across the street from the beach. I was also housed at this hotel during rehearsals for my role debut as Lauretta in Puccini’s Gianni Schicchi performed at the State Opera Plovdiv and the State Opera Stara Zagora.
I hosted my first dinner party in my new apartment in Vienna/ It was filled with lot of wine and fantastic company! I made a Vegetable Strudel which has become my “go to” when company comes over. Recipe below:
Serves 4 people
2 Zucchini, large slices
2 red onions, quartered
2 bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 cup mushroom, large slices
1/2 jar of pesto
Buffalo mozzarella cheese ball
Puff pastry pre#made dough
1 egg white
1 egg yoke
Salt, pepper and garlic
1. Preheat oven to 245 degrees C (475 degrees F).
2. Toss the vegetables with the olive oil and spices until coated.
3. Spread the vegetables out evenly on a large roasting pan.
4. Roast vegetables in the oven for for 25 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through and browned.
5. Take the vegetables out and preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (or as directed on the pre-made dough)
6. Mix the yoke and the vegetables together.
7. Lay out the strudel pre-made dough on the roasting pan and smear a generous amount of pesto on one side.
8. Place half the slices of mozzarella in a line over the pesto.
9. Pour the vegetable mixture in a line over the pesto and mozzarella.
10. Add the remaining mozzarella slices on top of the vegetable mixture.
11. Fold the dough over so it meets the other opposite end.
12. Spread the egg white on top of the dough and cut four diagonal lines in the dough
13. Put the strudel in the oven for 220 degrees C for 20 minutes (or as directed on the pre-made dough).
13. Take it out when it’s golden brown on the top
I served my Vegetable Strudel with a side of rucola mixed with oliva oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and garlic. This salad compliments the strudel perfectly!
Dear Opera Fan Neighbor (from upstairs),
After hearing the horrible stories from my singer colleagues about neighbors complaining about their practicing in their own apartments, I knew I was so lucky that when I moved in, I heard you singing and playing the piano…not only that, but it was on a Sunday, a Ruhetag (a quiet day in Austria, under law)! I knew at that moment that we would get along great!
I appreciated you jumping in on the piano to accompany me when I was singing Ah! non credea mirarti from La sonnambula; it was a nice little duet we had through the ceiling! I especially enjoyed your rehearsal today when I heard you singing your favorites all in falsetto: Casta Diva (soprano aria) from Norma, Ol’ Man River (bass aria) from Showboat and Ah! mes amis (tenor aria) from La fille du régiment…it really brought a smile to my face! Although I have never met you, through the ceiling, I love the passion I hear that you have for opera and I am very happy to have you as my neighbor!
Lisa your Opera Singer Neighbor (from downstairs)
My little table in my new apartment in the 4th District of Vienna
Get the look:
Wire Side Table: Amazon.de 2er Set Moderner Couchtisch Beistelltisch
Tray: Flying Tiger of Copenhagen
Orchid: IKEA PHALAENOPSIS
Flower pot: IKEA PAPAJA
Eiffel Tower: Souvenir from my first time in Paris
Blue wall hanging (tray): Flying Tiger of Copenhagen
Rug: mömax Fleckerlteppich Julia in Rosa
Chair: Amazon.de Teamyy Wohnzimmerstuhl Esszimmerstuhl Bürostuhl 4x Eiffel
Dinning Room Table: Möbelix Esstisch Sven 120
Picture (blue): Spoonflower Japanese Garden Wallpaper